As seen on Flickr, here is the recipe I have been working on for fudge frosting. My main issue is getting the right balance of chocolates to get at the flavor I am looking for. I like something on the sweet side, but not too sweet. Something that would appeal to kids and adults alike. To make it sweeter increase the semisweet by a couple of ounces and decrease the bittersweet or unsweetened. The bittersweet gives it a bite, the unsweetened a rich cocoa flavor, and the semisweet a sweetness… So, add and subtract based on what you are trying to get at flavorwise.
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
10 oz semisweet chocolate
2 sticks butter
5 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole milk
1. Melt chocolates and butter over double boiler.
2. Stir until smooth.
3. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Sift powdered sugar and salt into a bowl.
5. Combine milk and vanilla.
6. Add milk/vanilla mixture to sugar/salt mixture.
7. Whisk until incorporated.
8. Add melted chocolate/butter mixture to milk/vanilla/sugar/salt mixture.
9. Stir until smooth.
I usually chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so, whatever it takes to get it thick enough to frost. Frost the cupcakes once the frosting thick enough, but I find that the frosted cupcakes taste best hours later or the next day, after the frosting has had some time to ’set’.