I made these bad boys yet again. It’s probably the 20th time. They are simply one of my favorite non-chocolate cupcakes. “Hummingbird cake”, from what I understand, is a southern recipe. I have seen the recipe around. Martha Stewart had it in her magazine. I forget when… I got the recipe I use from the internet. I don’t remember where from as I copied it down a long time ago.
Seeing as I can’t find the recipe and all the others I have found have twice the oil, I will go ahead and reprint what I have.
makes 24 cupcakes
3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple, with liquid
2 mashed bananas
1 cup coursely chopped pecans
1. Mix flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt with a whisk in a good sized bowl.
2. Beat eggs.
3. Add oil and vanilla to beaten eggs and mix until somewhat combined.
4. Add egg/oil/vanilla mixture to flour/sugar/baking soda/cinnamon/salt mixture.
5. Mix together pineapple, bananas, pecans until combined.
6. Add to the rest of ingredients and stir to combine.
Bake at 350 degrees for ~25 minutes until golden and a cake tester comes out clean. I top these off with the cream cheese frosting recipe from the Buttercup Bakeshop book.
dry, wet, and chunky